Angel Kisses

Monday, October 20, 2008

Shelley, my beautiful, free-spirited, oldest daughter was diagnosed with chronic leukemia (cml) on October 08, 2008. I can't even begin to describe all the different emotions I feel right now. But the strongest one is that I wish I could make it all better for her. I would gladly trade places with her and take this on in her place. Shelley has always been the child that I didn't have to worry about. She's always been very independent, but scared of everything. She's the only person I know who's afraid of butterflies and moths!! I am so very worried about her right now. Her doctors are confused as to why she is in the early stage of this disease, yet they are having a hard time getting her white blood cell count to come down. The day she was admitted into the hospital, her white cell count was 340,000. The normal count should be 12,000. During the 12 days she was in the hospital, her count went up as high as 410,000. She is currently taking two different kinds of chemo pills-a total of 10 pills a day-just chemo. She also has to take iron and potassium pills, along with baby aspirin and some others that escape me at the moment. Normally 22-24 pills a day. The only reason she was even diagnosed right now is because her spleen was enlarged twenty times the normal size it should have been. She was loosing weight, but her stomach was getting larger-the result of the enlarged spleen. Some days just the smell of food made her sick, and she couldn't even finish a whole sandwich. She had been feeling like this for about a month, and the Wednesday she was admitted, she went to the doctor and they sent her straight to the hospital for a CT scan. No immediate member of my family has ever had cancer, and I just feel at a loss right now, not knowing why her body did this. All I can do is make sure she gets the best care possible and help keep her spirits up. I know she WILL beat this. All of her aunts, uncles, cousins, and some of her friends have already volunteered to get tested to see if they are a bone marrow match for her, since that is actually the only cure for it. The chemo pills are only to get it into remission. But from all the research we have done on the internet, the closest match she should have is her sister, Danielle, who gladly volunteered her's, too. She is very much loved, and I don't think she really realized how much until this happened to her. Here are some photos of her during her hospital stay. She had some pretty awesome doctors and nurses.


Sweet Shelley, the day before her doctors let her come home with the stipulation that she has to go back to the oncology clinic every day to have her blood drawn and monitored.

Dr. Vickie Morgan, one of Shelley's favorite doctors.

Shelley with Charlie, one of her two favorite nurses. Her other favorite nurse went on vacation to Jamaica, so we didn't get her photo yet.

Shelley with her Papaw Frank, my daddy.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear what your family is going through right now. It sounds like your daughter has a lot of support, though, and great Dr.s. I wish you all he best and a speedy treatment for Shelley.

Donna said...

My 2 1/2 year old son was just diagnosed with ALL leukemia on Sept 17th. I wish your daughter Shelley all the best for a successful recovery. Neither of you are alone in this fight. Prayers work wonders. I will add you and her to mine.

Linda Walton aka bobbysgirlforever said...

Sandy love, I stopped by yesterday to catch up with you. I don't think you ever saw my post to you in reply to your plea for blog help a bit ago and I was SO delighted to see your blog link attached to your message in my CBox!!!

I don't wish to lose you so I've now added you to my PERSONAL BLOG ROLL which will help me BIG TIME to keep up with those I admire!

I did not comment yesterday after reading about your DEAREST Shelley as I did not wish to rush my reply.

My heart is heavy as having two daughters myself, I am not sure how I would react to such an illness, however, I shall be keeping your ENTIRE family DEEP within my heart, my thoughts and prayers. Just by looking at Shelley's photos, I see a STRONG young woman with a fighting spirit!!! WOO HOO! That does not mean that she is not afraid, I would be, but with ALL of the LOVE and SUPPORT y'all shall be giving her, she WILL fight and I stand along side of you in believing that Shelley will, indeed, BEAT this!!! I also see a gentleness in her eyes ... a VERY sweet soul.

Your daughters are BEAUTIFUL as is their mother! Funny how that works, eh? He, he ... I am SO glad that you have started your own blog! You have a MOST incredible talent and a heart just AS incredible Sandy dearest.

I really have a DEEP desire to call you, so if you are up to it, mail me and let me know when it is good for you. My e-mail is lindawalton at caltel dot com.

Take care darlin' and I SHALL be checking in on you!

Love and hugs,
Linda :)

Elaine said...

My heart & prayers are with you, your daughter & family, that she will beat this & have a full recovery. I understand how you feel, wanting to trade places withher as I would have given anything to trade places with my son.Thank goodness they caught it early, that should help. Hugs, Elaine